Thursday, September 9, 2010

Safe Blogging?

I am convinced that safety comes first while using internet. I want to be safe my self and I want my students to be safe as well while surfing through pages of web world. 
There are several ways to protect students' privacy and to make a whole experience of blogging safe. 
  • First, we can educate out students about ways to protect their privacy, for example never to publish their personal information (tinyurl.com/5y919n is a great resource for documents about protecting students' privacy and safe blogging).
  • Second, we should communicate to the parents about all the steps we are going to take to protect their children. Some parents might have doubts about how blogging can help in their children education and not be a waist of time. It is our role to inform the parents about how students will benefit from it and what they can learn.
  • Third, we can monitor activity of students' and the blogs they're using. 
  • Finally, we can reward students' best posts by appropriate responding back to those posts. By rewarding students' good ideas we can create a good community of learners.

It is our role as the teachers to protect our students and to teach them how they can protect them self. My question is: how to create a safe blog if I want to find a connections with out side native speakers in a ESL classroom. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree, teacher definitely have to keep students safe. I guess they don't realize how important it is to keep their info "their info". =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ania,

    There are many organizations that can set up safe online exchanges for students. We will look at on called ePals in mod 11. You can check it out now if you are interested.

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete